Olympiakos chief Marinakis fines players for poor displays

The Greek champions’ recent derby reverse to arch-rvials Panathinaikos, a 4-2 aggregate defeat by Ukraine’s Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk in the Europa League last 32 and a 1-1 Greek Cup draw with second division AEK Athens have left Marinakis fuming.

南宁桑拿

The outspoken shipping magnate made an appearance on Monday at the club’s training ground, where who is a frequent visitor, and gave a strong verbal warning to players and staff.

“I’ll tell you something very important and non-negotiable; Olympiakos is the largest Greek club and for each of you it is an honour to play for this team and for this club,” Marinakis told the players according to local media reports.

“You must have mutual respect and honour Olympiakos, and anyone who has a problem with that or doesn’t like it here, it’s time to have the guts to get up and leave — and that applies to everyone.

“We understand your expectations and that you can get yourself in the shop window by playing in the Champions League here but as long as you’re playing for Olympiakos you will give everything and sacrifice for this shirt.”

Olympiakos, who sacked their Spanish manager Michel in January and replaced him with Portuguese Vitor Pereira, are three points ahead of Panathinaikos in the Super League standings with nine matches remaining.

But Marinakis warned there was no room for complacency.

“You must win the league championship and the Greek Cup, nothing else is in my mind right now, and it should be the same for you all,” he said.

Olympiakos are through to the quarter-finals of the Greek Cup where they visit second division AEK Athens in the return on March 10 following a 1-1 draw in last month’s first leg.

(Editing by Ken Ferris)

‘No good will come’ from Bali Nine deaths

The execution of Bali nine prisoners Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran will bring no good or benefit to the Indonesian community, a clemency advocate says.

南宁桑拿

The Australians were moved under heavy guard from Kerobokan prison at 5.18am local time on Wednesday, bound for Bali airport. They will fly to Cilacap in central Java and then be moved to Nusakambangan Island, where they will be shot by firing squad.

Mercy Campaign co-founder Matthew Goldberg says the images of the men being moved from Kerobokan are distressing, but while acknowledging that time is running out, he still holds out hope that Indonesian President Joko Widodo will spare them.

“It is still within President Widodo’s jurisdiction to exercise his discretion, to acknowledge circumstances of their claim and to grant them clemency. That can still occur,” he said on Wednesday morning.

“It’s a terribly retrograde step to see them moved from the prison where they’ve spent years developing, working themselves quietly at reform and spending their time otherwise assisting others in their rehabilitation.”

Mr Goldberg says the executions will do nothing to counter problems in Indonesia associated with the drugs trade.

“We know that no good can come of their execution for anyone,” he said.

“No benefit to the community, there will be no better protection for people exposed to the use or trade of drugs. There is no benefit.”

The Australian government had not yet been officially informed of the transfer of the men.

Speaking in Canberra before the pair were moved out of prison, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said he also had not given up hope they could be spared.

“Even at the 11th hour I hope there might be a change of heart in Indonesia and these executions might be stopped,” he said.

“I just want everyone to know the Australian government will never rest in our determination to let Indonesia know that we oppose the death penalty, we oppose drug crime.”

He said Australians were “revolted” by the imminent executions.

Chan and Sukumaran were sentenced in 2006 for their parts in a plot to smuggle 8.3kg of heroin from Bali to Australia.

They are expected to be executed with eight others convicted drug traffickers, one of whom is Indonesian.

Power hopes IndyCar stays competitive

Defending IndyCar champion Will Power says the unpredictable nature of the American open-wheel championship is a large part of its global appeal.

南宁桑拿

In Power’s championship year there were 11 different race winners while the Australian’s title win made him the fourth different driver to lift the Astor Cup at the end of the year.

This year however new aerodynamic bodywork kits are being introduced to the field and there will be only limited testing for drivers going into the season opener in Florida on March 29.

Power says he’s hopeful the changes won’t have too much affect on what makes IndyCar special.

“One of the great things about IndyCar the last three years is how good and aggressive the racing has been with the way this car drives and isn’t affected too terribly by the turbulent air of the car in front,” Power told IndyCar广西桑拿,.

“When you start adding winglets you can be dependent on little aero bits and disturbed air becomes more of an issue.”

Power, who said last month he was feeling as motivated as ever despite finally landing a championship he’d narrowly missed out on three times in the past, will go into the season opener at St Petersburg with happy memories.

The 34-year-old won there last year and in 2010, as well as earning the pole position for four straight years from 2010 to 2013.

“It never seems to get easier,” Power said.

“Everyone learns more and things get tighter.

“The whole series is so competitive. You just see that in the last two years, how many different race winners there were, how many different pole-sitters there were. There’s nothing worse in a series where the same people win over and over and over, there’s no competition.

“That’s what is cool about IndyCar. You can be 22nd one week, then you can be winning a race a next week. I think that keeps the fans interested. That’s how a series should be.

“It will be a tough year. You’ve got to earn your meal ticket.”

Baird proposes tougher child abuse laws

Sex offenders who have intercourse with a child under the age of 10 could face life behind bars under a re-elected NSW coalition government.

南宁桑拿

Premier Mike Baird is expected to outline on Wednesday a raft of tough new measures targeting child sex offenders which he will take to the March 28 election.

“This is about protecting child victims of sexual assault and bringing pedophiles to justice,” Mr Baird said.

The maximum penalty for sexual intercourse with a child under 10 will be raised from 25 years to life in jail under the plan.

Mr Baird is also proposing to introduce standard non-parole periods for 13 child abuse offences including grooming, prostitution and production of child abuse material.

Attorney General Brad Hazzard said the measures would ensure sentences meet community standards.

But a spokeswoman for Mr Hazzard said the measures won’t apply to historic sex abuse cases.

Howard Brown, from the Victims of Crime Assistance League, said the changes would allow more time for offenders to be rehabilitated.

“In the past the term of imprisonment has been too short for an offender to successfully complete sex offender programs, resulting in their release without treatment,” Mr Brown said.

Mr Baird will commit $4 million for the justice package while committing another $4 million over four years to educate children and young people about protecting themselves against abuse.

He will also announce a pilot program to allow child witnesses in abuse cases to be cross-examined in a “safe place” rather than coming in to court, aligning NSW with other states and territories.

Clinton used personal email for US work

Hillary Rodham Clinton used a personal email account during her time as secretary of state, rather than a government-issued email address, potentially hampering efforts to archive official government documents required by law.

南宁桑拿

Clinton’s office said nothing was illegal or improper about her use of the non-government account and that she believed her business emails to State Department and other official accounts would be archived in accordance with government rules.

For Clinton, the new developments, first reported by The New York Times, place a spotlight on her tenure in the Obama administration as she prepares to launch a widely expected 2016 presidential campaign that Republicans have already started to deride as a third Obama term.

They also come after recent examinations of the fundraising practices by the charitable foundation started by her husband, former President Bill Clinton.

“Like secretaries of state before her, she used her own email account when engaging with any department officials,” Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill said.

“For government business, she emailed them on their department accounts, with every expectation they would be retained. When the department asked former secretaries last year for help ensuring their emails were in fact retained, we immediately said `yes’.

“Both the letter and spirit of the rules permitted State Department officials to use non-government email, as long as appropriate records were preserved.”

Republicans quickly pounced on Clinton’s use of the personal email account, arguing that she failed to comply with the law while serving in the State Department.

Deputy State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said the agency asked former secretaries of state Madeleine Albright, Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice and Clinton last year for records that should be preserved.

Harf says Clinton’s successor, John Kerry, is the first secretary of state to primarily use an official state.gov email account and that the department is now updating its records preservation policies to bring them in line with current regulations.

That includes regularly archiving all of Kerry’s emails.